2/5/13

Hot and Steamy Salmon

 


So I was looking for super food recipes today and found several for salmon. Most of them were grilled though, and I was not quite committed enough to this endeavor to fire up the grill for the season just yet. I always feel like I over cook fish on the grill or in the broiler anyway. Something made me think, "poached," and then I remembered we have a bamboo steamer. It gets a fair amount of use, but mostly for steaming dumplings. So I consulted Google and found several tips for cooking fish in a bamboo steamer. This is the recipe I went with:


Cook time: 10 Minutes
Prep time: 10 Minutes

Ingredients

* 2 4-6oz Salmon Fillets
* 1 tbsp soy sauce
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 2 scallions
* 4 slices ginger
* 1 lemon
* 2 tsp sesame oil
* Pepper to taste

Directions

* Rinse and pat dry the salmon fillets.  Drizzle soy sauce,  salt, and pepper over the fish.  Sprinkle with sliced scallions and ginger.

* Cut the lemon in half and then cut half a lemon into thin slices.

* Use about 1 section of your bamboo steamer (about 1 inch tall).  Place either some cabbage, butter lettuce, or banana leaf down on the steamer and lay the fish on top.  Place the sliced lemon on top of the fish.  Squeeze the remaining juice from 1/2 the lemon all over the top.

* Steam the fish for 8-10 minutes by placing the bamboo steamer over boiling water in a wok or similar dish.

* Remove from heat and drizzle the sesame oil over the fillets.  Serve hot over rice, bok choy, or thin noodles. (I skipped the sesame oil described here and opted for a teriyaki sauce instead--see below)


View this recipe at its original site here.

I put fresh broccoli in the second steamer basket and already had brown rice going in our rice cooker. To dress it up a little, I pressed the rice into a small bowl to use it as a mold and then flipped it over onto the plate. I then sprinkled some black sesame seeds on the rice for further decoration. On the side, I made a simple maple teriyaki sauce. It was delicious on everything; the rice, the broccoli, and the salmon.

Here's the recipe for the sauce:

2 tsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp maple syrup (the real stuff)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tsp minced fresh ginger

Combine all ingredients and stir well.

No comments:

Post a Comment